Achieving true wellness is more than just physical health. The mind body and spirit connection is essential for overall wellness, with research studies showing the correlation between the quality of life and avoiding burnout. At UHSM we believe in empowering our members to focus on balancing the three pillars of health to achieve true optimal health.
Mind Body Spirit importance for health and wellness
The main concept behind the mind body and spirit connection is that we are all more than just our physical body. We are a combination of our bodies, our emotions, and our spirituality. All these things combine to give us identity, determine our health, and make up our overall well-being.
Mind body and spirit relates to a holistic medicine approach. It concentrates on the mental, physical and spiritual elements of the self. When someone is in a state of pure wellness, there is no separation between mind body and spirit. All elements of the self are in harmonious balance. The person is living in a state of wholeness.
Taking Care of the Mind
Mental well-being is the cognitive ability to gather, process, recall and communicate information. Your mental health is dependent on your choice of thoughts and belief systems. It is important to check in with yourself each day to make sure that you are choosing positive thoughts. This will create a healthy mind body spirit integration.
When it comes to exercise and training, these components are especially important for a healthy lifestyle. A positive mental attitude sets the foundation for motivation and aids in achieving your goals. This leads to an overall healthy mindset.
Mental Health Benefits
Positive mental health benefits include:
- The ability to better cope with life’s stressors
- A positive self-image
- Healthier relationships
- Better productivity
- Higher quality of life
When it comes to how to maintain positive mental health and well-being here are a few suggestions:
- Prioritize sleep and rest
- Keep in contact with friends and loved ones
- Keep a positive outlook on life
Taking Care of the Body
Physical well-being is the optimal condition of each of the body’s physiological systems such as the cardiovascular system, digestive system, nervous system, etc. When it comes to physical well-being, it is essential to ensure that the body is being nourished with the best nutrition. This is important not only for recovery and a strong immune system but also for your gut health which research has shown is directly related to your mental health.
Physical Health Benefits
Benefits of being physically active include:
- Improves mood
- Boosts energy
- Promotes better sleep
- Maintain healthy weight
- Strengthen bones and muscles
Most people have a pretty good concept of how to be physically healthy, but it’s always a good reminder to ensure that we are incorporating these daily habits into our wellness regimen regularly. Ways to promote physical health include:
- Exercise regularly
- Get 7-8 hours of sleep
- Eat a healthy diet
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Avoid smoking and limit alcohol intake
Taking Care of the Spirit
Spiritual wellness is important because it acknowledges our search for a deeper meaning in life. When we are spiritually healthy, we feel more connected to God and also to those around us. Spiritual well-being is the maturation of our faith and connection with a higher consciousness. It is created through the integration of these elements:
- Our relationship with God
- Relationships – with yourself and others
- Your values
- Your purpose in life
Spiritual Health Benefits
The benefits of spiritual well-being are numerous – from more compassionate relationships to a deeper sense of inner peace. Additional benefits of spiritual health include:
- Improved emotional state
- Stronger immune system
- Increased social interactions
- Lower rates of anxiety
- Reduction in stress
When we slow down, reflect, recharge and cultivate purpose in our life we rediscover our why. Many spiritual practices cause us to use inward reflection to increase spiritual connection, compassion and empathy. Here are a few suggestions for how to maintain your spiritual health:
- Reading & reflection
- Keeping a journal
- Practicing gratitude
Integrating the Mind Body and Spirit in Our Ministry
UHSM believes in incorporating the mind body spirit in our ministry and integrating those elements into our health share programs. Our members are rooted in faith, shared in community, cared through health. #WeShareFaith #WeShareCommunity #WeShareHealth
At Unite Health Share Ministries we have a strong focus on the mind body spiritual connection and have resources to empower our members to live happier and healthier overall.
- Mental Health Mondays with Brittney Moses will share tips for gratitude, stretching, morning routine ideas, and other ideas for emotional wellness on social media to encourage positive mental health exercises.
- Noom Membership: Noom is a company dedicated to creating a healthier world. They are committed to helping their users achieve physical, mental, and emotional well-being.
- Access to the best providers with the largest health care networks in the country, the PCHS® PPO Network and CVS Caremark™ Network.
- Fitbod Membership: Fitbod is an award-winning application that leverages AI to provide users with personalized workouts tailored to their goal, ability, and available equipment
- Faith Fridays: Gives the opportunity each week for member prayer requests, guidance, inspiration, bible verses and more
- Pray.com Membership: Pray.com is the world’s #1 app for daily prayer and faith-based audio content. Experience stronger faith, deeper sleep, and a better prayer life when you download the Pray.com app.
“The Cancer Kinship Story: Disease Literacy Saves Lives”
The UHSM blog series is kicking off National Disease Literacy Month with a cancer kinship story to help promote education and information on how to prevent disease and live happier and healthier.
Stay tuned for next weeks blog post where WeShare more healthy living tips!